Blog Archive

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Two Birds in One Day plus a mate.

When you are a photographer and a birdwatcher you are always wanting to see a bird you haven't seen before and better still photograph it as well.
It doesn't necessarily have to be a great award winning photograph but it is immensely satisfying when those special moments happen.
When you do that I call it "Twitchography" 
I had seen the gang gang cockatoo before in the wild but never had a camera or right conditions to photograph it.
At the Canberra Botanical Gardens yesterday we had only just arrived when a Gang Gang flew down right in front of me and had a drink.
Click,click,click!
He had already made my day.
Then a former team mate from my Darwin Football playing days with the wanderers was good enough to come and have a yarn.
Mick Adams now works in Canberra and we got in touch as he found me on this blog.

http://geoffthompsonsblog.blogspot.com.au/2012/08/parap-wanderers-football-team-photo.html

Then later in the day my sister in law showed us where she had seen a bower bird in the past.
A satin bower bird I had never seen before let alone photographed.
And there  he was.
He even put on a little display.
What a great day!
Here are some pics.

Gang Gang Cockatoo
Satin Bower Bird

Mick Adams and Geoff Thompson. 1970 Wanderers Team Mates

The location of a Reed Warbler that I saw glimpses of and recorded his song but could not fire off a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment