Blog Archive

Friday, February 15, 2019

"Polished stones and sharpened arrows"-Another book in my library.

"Polished Stones and Sharpened Arrows" is a book written in 1888  by a man called CW Bibb.
 The idea of this book was to help Christians share their faith with others and also help them grow in their Christian life.
I have the book in my collection.
 It's full of illustrations which when  I read the book I saw how many familiar illustrations there are that I was taught to use myself when doing personal evangelism .
 I still think there's a value with of this type of illustration even though of course a lot of the illustrations that are used in personal evangelism and stories might be anecdotal
 some maybe true some maybe just to give an illustration.
But they can be helpful so I'm going to share some of these in my  my blog

 This next story which has a historical authenticity comes in a chapter titled "Trust in Christ".

"Romans 8:18  KJV

18 For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

Margaret Wilson a young lady of 18, living in Wigtown, Scotland, was cruelly condemned  by James the 2nd to be drowned for her faith in Christ .
She was taken to the seashore and tied to a stake so the rising tide would slowly overflow her and give her an opportunity to recant her faith.
Calmly she awaited to the approaching tide.
 Someone asked "do you have any fears of the future."
 She calmly replied "Christ is my stay"

 As the waves came up to her mouth she repeated these lines.

 "For I am persuaded that neither death nor life nor angels nor principalities nor powers,
 nor things present, nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord"



 Both illustrations by John Everett Millais

Read about Margaret here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Wilson_(Scottish_martyr) 

No comments:

Post a Comment