Blog Archive

Monday, March 30, 2020

Passing of Keth Deboar,Max Conroy

This week it has been sad to note the passing of former West Torrens Cricketer and all round good bloke Keith Deboar, and also Graham Stanford told me today of the passing  of another teammate of those days,Max Conroy.
When you play sport you form many friendships in your playing years and a lot of the time they don't always continue after your playing days.
You do catch up though occasionally at past players days at the Cricket Club.
Soon you are talking about things as if it were yesterday.
I had the privilege of playing with both Keith and Max in the only cricket premiership I ever played in.
West Torrens C Grade in the1967/68 C grade Premiership .
See picture below.
I remember many highlights of he game as I am sure we all do and we all went back to Keith's home that night for a celebration.
Keith was a wonderful guy and team man.
Max I remember as a laconic laid back sort of bloke who was always good to be around.
Some medium pace bowling and opening batsman.
Both were very competent cricketers.
I don't think I have seen Max since our playing days.

My thoughts and best wishes  are with both families especially at such a tough time as the Coronavirus Pandemic.
Hopefully some time we will be able to have a farewell for these guys.


Left to right. Back row Darryl Wood, Geoff Thompson,John Wildy,Max Conroy,Michael Peake,Des Fahy,Keith DeBoar,Robert Cronin (Scorer)
Front: Ray Pens,Graham Parry,Lloyd Turner (captain-wkeeper),Lynn Fielke,Roger Sweet.
West Torrens 195 d. Port Adelaide 192 and 9/131 at Adelaide #2, 23-30 March 1968.
I have a great memory of Michael Peake hitting the winning runs and letting go of his bat and running down the wicket without it.
I think I was batting with Graham Parry at tea and we had 10 runs needed.
I got out first ball after tea.
Thankfully the other guys got us through.

Thanks to Rocka for the details.


Standing from left to right at the West Torrens Cricket club centenary dinner Barry Fry,Bob Hank and Keith Deboar.


I am not sure who the others are in the picture.

If you search on this blog in the index on he right for west torrens cricket club you will find many posts and pictures.

If anyone family or team mates wants copies of photos I have in my archives I am happy to email at no cost.

I have a growing archive of Cricket Club pics.

I can be contacted at 0417867476.

cheers

Geoff Thompson


No comments:

Post a Comment