Blog Archive

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Another Bird Encounter-Thrush on a cup


Grey Thrushes are one of my favourite birds as much for their friendliness and beautiful bird song as anything else. There have been very many generations reared on my in-laws property at Renmark.When my father in law Dud Foweraker was alive they would be at the back and front doors all the time for handouts. A little less frequent in their visits now.

Just found a gem to add to this.
The Grey Thrush by C J Dennis

SINGING all the summer long
Matin hymn and evensong,
Fluting freely thro' the noonday's drowsy hush;
Pouring from my leafy bow'r
Benedictions every hour,
I am the friend of all the world. Grey Thrush.

Mine no monotonic lay
Harping all the livelong day
On a single melody, however sweet;
But, with many a turn and twist,
I, the bushland's soloist,
Offer all my varied repertoire complete.

Happiest songster of them all,
Who can hear my joyous call
Yet find no echoing gladness in his heart?
Madrigal and lullaby,
Chant and canticle sing I;
Every mood l melodize with careless art.

Singing all the summer long
Matin hymn, and vesper song,
Fluting freely thro' the noonday's drowsy hush;
In my drab habiliment
Peace I sing, and glad content,
I'm the bushland's master melodist, Grey Thrush.

The Grey Thrush
by C J Dennis (1876-1938)
The Singing Garden (1935) p.71.

No comments:

Post a Comment